Enter at the main entrance, SW corner of 68th St. and Lexington Ave.
News & Events
PSC CLT Chapter General Membership Meeting
The meeting scheduled for today, Monday, December 2, has been cancelled due to the current inclement weather, which is forecast to continue into this evening. The meeting is rescheduled for Tuesday, December 10 at 6:30 p.m. at the PSC Office
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 (rescheduled date)
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
PSC, 16th floor (61 Broadway)
Updates / Tentative Agenda:
Media Coverage (December 2019)
- The Knight News: CUNY & PSC Fight the Good Fight
- The Chief: PSC Members Ratify By Big Margin Pact With 71% Upgrade
- Manhattan Times: Advance for the Adjuncts?
CUNY faculty and staff vote in favor of new contract
- Queens Daily Eagle: CUNY staff union contract ratified after yearslong struggle
Media Coverage (November 2019)
- Campus News: CUNY chancellor applauds new contract; adjuncts to get 71% bump
- Governor.ny.gov: Statement from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on Ratification of Historic Five-Year Contract By PSC to Support CUNY Faculty
- Riverdale Press: CUNY contract debate reveals larger adjunct struggle
- New Politics: In support of the Professional Staff Congress/City University of NY tentative agreement: Vote yes
- City Limits: Opinion: Proposed CUNY Contract is a Good Deal for Students and Faculty
- Riverdale Press: New union contract is great for CUNY future
- Labor Notes: Viewpoint: Vote Yes on the PSC-CUNY Contract: A Step Forward in the Fight
- NY Amsterdam News: PSC and CUNY agree to five-year contract
- Politico: Stavisky pushes for more funding for CUNY, SUNY
Media Coverage (October 2019)
- Gotham Gazette: A Historic CUNY Labor Contract
- The Chief: PSC's Breakthrough Deal
- The Nation: These Students Want to Know: Where’s Their Tuition Money Going?
- Campus News College Paper: CUNY adjuncts to get $5500 per course
- Inside Higher Ed: CUNY Contract Deal Means Big Raise for Adjuncts
- The Chief: Breakthrough PSC Deal Nearly Doubles Adjunct Per-Class Payments
- NY Daily News: Fairness 101: CUNY’s new contract is better for professors who shoulder more and more of the teaching load, and for students
- SI LIVE: Adjunct CUNY professors to see pay increase under tentative contract
- NYSUT: NYSUT commends PSC on tentative contract agreement
- NY Daily News: CUNY adjunct professors reach contract agreement, win major raise
- Queens Daily Eagle: CUNY reaches contract agreement with 30K-member staff union
- Wall Street Journal: CUNY Reaches Contract Deal With Faculty Union
- CUNY: CUNY and PSC Reach Tentative Agreement On Five-Year Contract That Increases Salaries for Full-time Faculty, Adjuncts and Professional Staff and Supports Students’ Success
- The Chief: PSC Spotlights Workplace Bullying, Calls for Law Protecting Its Victims
- The Knight News: Call for More Funding for CUNY Schools in 2020
- The Banner: CUNY Budget Cuts Felt By CSI Students and Faculty
- The Chief: Polishook Had Character
Special DA to discuss and vote on the proposed contract. Please plan to arrive early.
In order to accommodate all delegates who plan to attend, the meeting will be held at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel 811 7th Ave in Manhattan, between 52nd and 53rd Sts. It will be in the New York Ballroom East on the 3rd floor of the hotel. The Sheraton is a unionized hotel. Unfortunately, the large union halls of other locals in the city were fully booked for Thursday night.
Phased retirement at CUNY offers a way for full-time instructional staff members to move to retirement, and many have already made the transition. The program, originally agreed to between the PSC and CUNY as a pilot program, is now permanent. The deadline to apply is November 15, 2019.
In honor of National Bullying Prevention Month, PSC's HEO and CLT chapters will host a forum at their cross-campus units meeting to discuss workplace bullying, learn what can be done about it and how we can take action to STOP it.
Workplace Bullying in Academia
Monday, October 7, 2019
6:30 PM – 9:00 PM
PSC Central Office, 61 Broadway, 16th Floor
Light refreshments served at 6:00 PM / Meeting begins at 6:30 PM
Irwin H. Polishook, President of the Professional Staff Congress/CUNY, Local 2334, AFT, AFL-CIO for 24 years from 1976 to 2000, died on September 13, 2019 at age 84. Polishook was a scholar of colonial America and taught History at Hunter and Lehman Colleges, CUNY. He was a founding leader of the PSC when it was formed through a merger of the Legislative Conference and the United Federation of College Teachers in 1972, and became president in 1976. He helped negotiate the union’s first contracts, led the PSC through the fiscal crisis of the 1970s and later staunchly resisted structural upheavals at CUNY. He was a leading voice for unions in higher education within the PSC's affiliate, the American Federation of Teachers, and led the AFT's Higher Education Program and Policy Council. Polishook was also a member of the Executive Committee of New York State United Teachers, the Steering Committee of the NYC Municipal Labor Committee and held offices in the American Association of University Professors.
Polishook is survived by his wife Sheila, also a retiree member of PSC, his son Lewis, daughter-in-law Susan Sapiro, and two granddaughters. Donations in his memory may be made to the Belle Zeller Scholarship Trust Fund, which provides an annual graduate scholarship in his name. (Send c/o PSC 61 Broadway NY, NY 10006)
The PSC’s national affiliate, the American Federation of Teachers, is urging members to take part in the union’s presidential endorsement survey. (The AFT’s 2020 endorsement process is covered the May issue of Clarion.) Please take a moment to tell the AFT which issues are important to you. The Democratic candidates want our votes and the endorsement of our union. Let’s make sure that investment in high-quality, affordable public postsecondary education (one of the survey choices) is high on their list of priorities. For the survey, use PSC/CUNY and AFT #2334 for the local name and local number fields.