News & Events
The Professional Staff Congress/CUNY, the union representing 30,000 professors and academic staff at The City University of New York, stands in solidarity with students at Jamia Millia Islamia University as well as with student protestors throughout India in their struggle against state repression of political speech.
The PSC-CUNY 2017-2023 collective bargaining agreement was ratified by the union at the end of November and approved by the CUNY Board of Trustees on December 16, 2019. In the meantime, CUNY sent out letters of appointment and reappointment that reflect the old 2017 salary rates and, as far as we know, the old number of appointment hours per course. The letters we have seen do not include the additional paid office hour, which will be in effect next semester (spring 2020).
Starting this spring, the new union contract provides tuition relief to all doctoral students who are employed in a PSC-represented title for four additional semesters beyond their fifth year of study.
There is a very quick turnaround between ratification and implementation, so we need to be vigilant that people are not receiving incorrect bills! If you feel that you have been billed improperly, please email the Graduate Center PSC grievance officer at email@example.com.
Enter at the main entrance, SW corner of 68th St. and Lexington Ave.
PSC CLT Chapter General Membership Meeting
The meeting scheduled for today, Monday, December 2, has been cancelled due to the current inclement weather, which is forecast to continue into this evening. The meeting is rescheduled for Tuesday, December 10 at 6:30 p.m. at the PSC Office
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 (rescheduled date)
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
PSC, 16th floor (61 Broadway)
Updates / Tentative Agenda:
Media Coverage (December 2019)
- Black Star News: NY Mayor de Blasio Praises Vote by CUNY Board to Approve PSC-CUNY Contract
- City Limits: Opinion: Starving the CUNY System Erodes an Engine for Equality
- Caribbean Life News: Williams tours York College, highlights funding crisis at CUNY
- Queens Daily Eagle: Queens senator tackles CUNY infrastructure woes
- Mayor de Blasio: Statement from Mayor de Blasio on CUNY Board Voting to Approve PSC-CUNY Contract
- The Knight News: CUNY & PSC Fight the Good Fight
- The Chief: PSC Members Ratify By Big Margin Pact With 71% Upgrade
- Manhattan Times: Advance for the Adjuncts?
CUNY faculty and staff vote in favor of new contract
- Queens Daily Eagle: CUNY staff union contract ratified after yearslong struggle
Media Coverage (November 2019)
- Campus News: CUNY chancellor applauds new contract; adjuncts to get 71% bump
- Governor.ny.gov: Statement from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on Ratification of Historic Five-Year Contract By PSC to Support CUNY Faculty
- Riverdale Press: CUNY contract debate reveals larger adjunct struggle
- New Politics: In support of the Professional Staff Congress/City University of NY tentative agreement: Vote yes
- City Limits: Opinion: Proposed CUNY Contract is a Good Deal for Students and Faculty
- Riverdale Press: New union contract is great for CUNY future
- Labor Notes: Viewpoint: Vote Yes on the PSC-CUNY Contract: A Step Forward in the Fight
- NY Amsterdam News: PSC and CUNY agree to five-year contract
- Politico: Stavisky pushes for more funding for CUNY, SUNY
Media Coverage (October 2019)
- Gotham Gazette: A Historic CUNY Labor Contract
- The Chief: PSC's Breakthrough Deal
- The Nation: These Students Want to Know: Where’s Their Tuition Money Going?
- Campus News College Paper: CUNY adjuncts to get $5500 per course
- Inside Higher Ed: CUNY Contract Deal Means Big Raise for Adjuncts
- The Chief: Breakthrough PSC Deal Nearly Doubles Adjunct Per-Class Payments
- NY Daily News: Fairness 101: CUNY’s new contract is better for professors who shoulder more and more of the teaching load, and for students
- SI LIVE: Adjunct CUNY professors to see pay increase under tentative contract
- NYSUT: NYSUT commends PSC on tentative contract agreement
- NY Daily News: CUNY adjunct professors reach contract agreement, win major raise
- Queens Daily Eagle: CUNY reaches contract agreement with 30K-member staff union
- Wall Street Journal: CUNY Reaches Contract Deal With Faculty Union
- CUNY: CUNY and PSC Reach Tentative Agreement On Five-Year Contract That Increases Salaries for Full-time Faculty, Adjuncts and Professional Staff and Supports Students’ Success
- The Chief: PSC Spotlights Workplace Bullying, Calls for Law Protecting Its Victims
- The Knight News: Call for More Funding for CUNY Schools in 2020
- The Banner: CUNY Budget Cuts Felt By CSI Students and Faculty
- The Chief: Polishook Had Character