A People’s Budget, A People’s CUNY
March from LaGuardia Community College to CUNY School of Law
Saturday, December 11, 11AM
March details below.
PSC members, students and CUNY allies will march in Queens for a people’s budget with game-changing state investments in a people’s university. After years of racialized austerity for the public college students of New York City, the Black and brown communities served by CUNY are waiting for Albany to finally put their needs first. It’s time for a budget that’s worthy of CUNY’s mission. Time to end the faculty and staff shortages, the adjunct exploitation, and the tuition hikes.
Dues-paying PSC members who attend can take one of these sweatshirts to wear at this and at other union actions. We will also have masks and bandanas with the union logo and hashtag.
We’ll have signs on poles and handheld signs available for hundreds of members, but please feel free —feel inspired! —to bring a homemade sign.
#NewDeal4CUNY and #APeoplesCUNY are our hashtags. Help amplify our message by posting and sharing during and after the march. Use the hashtags when you post. Retweet tweets that you see using the hashtags. We’re adding sample tweets to this social media kit.
We’re coming together masked, vaccinated and outside to make a joyful noise for the University our city deserves. We will be safe by keeping masks on in the crowd, on public transportation, and on the chartered buses.
There’s a chance of some scattered showers tomorrow between 11 and 2. You may or may not need some light rain gear. Best to bring it.
Program and March Route
- 11:00 AM Meet on Thompson Ave for a rally in front of LaGuardia Community College in Long Island City (31-10 Thomson Ave.) There will be short speeches from student leaders and coalition partners, great music, and an art performance about the New Deal for CUNY coordinated by Bread and Puppet Theater.
- 11:30 AM Step off for the march to the CUNY School of Law about a half mile away (2 Ct Square W). We’ll march and chant accompanied by the Rude Mechanical Orchestra. After a few words at the CUNY Law School, we will proceed another tenth of a mile to Court Square Park.
- 12:15 PM Speakers at the rally at Court Square Park (Court Square & Jackson Ave.) include prominent elected officials, striking Columbia University graduate workers, plus a repeat performance coordinated by Bread and Puppet.
- Here’s a map of the whole route.
Transportation & Parking
- At least seven subway lines and 11 MTA bus routes are also within walking distance of LaGuardia Community College. Click here for more information.
- We’ve chartered buses from Bronx Community College and Queensborough Community College. Seats are still available. Email email@example.com to reserve a seat. The BCC bus will be at the main pedestrian entrance on University Ave. The QCC bus will be at the main gate on 56th Ave. Both buses will depart at 10AM Saturday morning. Both should return to their pick-up/drop-off sites before 2PM.
- If you’d rather drive, the paid lot by the LaGuardia C building (28-11 47th Avenue) will be open specially for us. Enter the lot through the 29th Street entrance. I It is at about the midpoint of the march. Other nearby paid lots are listed here. Street parking may also be available.
Bathrooms at the CUNY School of Law will be available to anyone with a CUNY ID, or anyone accompanied by someone with a CUNY ID.
The Factory food court (30-30 47th Avenue) has public restrooms. It opens at 11AM and is about a five-minute walk from LaGuardia Community College. There’s also a Starbucks on Jackson Avenue that’s a three-minute walk from both Court Square park and CUNY Law School.