Environmental Justice Committee Meetings will be in two parts -- (1) a business meeting and (2) a speaker. Until further notice, meetings will be on Zoom, 5:30-7:30 pm.
Speaker and Discussion: "De-growth" and how we can minimize energy use as a society.
- Jack Hammond, Professor of Sociology, Hunter College and the Graduate Center, will speak on the economics and politics of degrowth.
- Nelly Tournaki, Professor of Special Education, College of Staten Island and the Graduate Center, will speak on the relationship of degrowth to the Green New Deal.
A full discussion will follow.
- Jason Hickel. Degrowth: a theory of radical abundance, real-world economics review,issue no. 87
- This is a shorter treatment of similar material: Jason Hickel (2020) What does degrowth mean? A few points of clarification, Globalizations, DOI:
- The Case for Degrowth, Giorgos Kallis, Susan Paulson, Giacomo D’Alisa, and Federico Demaria.
For a Zoom link for the meeting, contact the committee's chair, Nancyc Romer at firstname.lastname@example.org