Respect for every person’s worth is fundamental - to a university, and particularly to CUNY, which was founded on principles of inclusion. As members of the PSC and CUNY community, we accept that our collective aspiration is to advance CUNY’s mission. We remain resolute in our commitment to a workplace that respects all employees, honors the dignity of all students, faculty and staff, and does not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
As members of the Professional Staff Congress, we work to advance and secure the professional and economic interests of all the members of the union’s bargaining units. To that end, we commit ourselves to nurture a work environment that is respectful and free from discrimination, harassment or bullying of any individual regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender or gender expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, ancestry, class or any other salient identity, protected or otherwise. We, therefore, agree to respect each other’s differences, whether physical or experiential and to create a healthy, safe and rewarding environment that nurtures, challenges and supports the community.
In order for our community to function in this way, it is useful for its individual members to make the following commitments:
- I commit to conduct that is mutually respectful and not discriminatory, harassing, bullying or threatening.
- I take responsibility for my actions and my personal perspectives, recognizing that there may be disagreements with another’s.
- I will respect everyone’s contributions and honor the roles and responsibilities of all members through my words and actions.
- I will be mindful and reflect on how I might be using or misusing my power and privilege in my interactions.
- I will intend to be inclusive and support others with the same respect and compassion that I want for myself.
- I am willing to be an active ally (upstander) by speaking, intervening, or acting on behalf of a person being attacked or bullied.
- I will seek to understand others and assume best intentions in all interactions.
- I will seek to understand other perspectives and avoid making assumptions.
- I commit to listen actively and with compassion at the workplace and in all union meetings.
Approved by the PSC Executive Council, July 27, 2021.