Investments in the CUNY will strengthen our economy and increase economic mobility for low income New Yorkers and people of color while targeting investment to the communities most harmed by COVID.
PSC members elevated the New Deal for CUNY, and our perseverance and sense of possibility raised public awareness and pressure on elected officials to support public higher education. As a result, while it doesn’t include all that we wanted, this state budget represents the largest year-over-year increase in funding to CUNY in decades, breaking with the austerity of recent years, and setting us on a path to make critical advances.
The enacted budget includes major additional expenditures above the previous year.
$122 million in new recurring operating aid to CUNY, including funding to
- hire 540 new full-time faculty across the system
- close the TAP gap this year
- increase the SEEK program investment, and
- support childcare centers on all CUNY campuses
- $40 million in one-time operating aid to CUNY senior and community colleges
- $67 million to cover CUNY employee fringe benefits
- $1 million to enhance student mental health services
- $1 billion in new capital funding, to improve CUNY’s physical infrastructure
- Expansion of TAP to part-time students
- Restoration of TAP to incarcerated individuals
These are significant commitments - all made without raising tuition! By organizing together, alongside the CUNY Rising Alliance, we displaced the longtime model of accompanying any major investment in CUNY with tuition hikes for students.
- Sign up for Higher Education Action Week. Lobby Alongside CUNY Students
- Urge your NYS legislators to increase CUNY funding and pass the New Deal for CUNY.
- Bring ND4C to your classrooms!
- PSC Testimony on the Executive Budget for CUNY, Fiscal Year 2023, Delivered Feb. 7
- NYS Assembly Higher Education Committee Hearing on the Impact of COVID-19 on the Future of Higher Education, November 30.
- Updated March 18, 2022 PSC State Budget Platform for Fiscal Year 2023
- Student-Faculty-Staff Higher Education Action Week Platform
- PSC State Budget Platform for Fiscal Year 2023
- CUNY Preliminary Analysis of the State Executive Budget
- University Budget Request for Fiscal Year 2023
New Deal for CUNY:
- 04/12/22: Update for Members: State budget for CUNY
- 04/08/22: Press Statement: CUNY funding in the FY23 NYS Budget
- 04/06/22: 6000 New Yorkers petition Governor Hochul to commit $500 million in recurring funding for the City University of New York
- 03/31/22: CUNY and SUNY are Economic Development
- 03/30/22: CUNY Faculty, Staff and Students Call on State Bronx Delegation to Support Increased CUNY Funding Ahead of Final State Budget
- 03/23/22: Faculty, Staff, Students, Unions Rally at Capitol, Calling on Governor, Majority Leader and Speaker to Increase CUNY & SUNY Funding by $1 Billion
- 03/18/22: Rep. Carolyn Maloney Leads Electeds, Advocates in Calling for State Support of the New Deal for CUNY
- 03/15/22: 131 Faith Leaders Demand Full Funding for Public Higher Ed
- 03/14/22: PSC Statement on Funding for CUNY in the NYS Legislature's One-House Budgets
- 03/10/22: City Council Passes Resolution Supporting New Deal For CUNY
- 03/06/22: Ahead of Final State Budget, A Thousand New Yorkers Show United Front for Increased CUNY/SUNY Funding
- 2/25/22: City Council Higher Education Committee Advances Resolution Supporting State New Deal For CUNY (ND4C) Legislation
- 2/24/22: New PSC Ad Supporting the New Deal for CUNY
- 2/16/22: Online rally calling for increased investment in CUNY and SUNY
- 2/15/22: Where Do Things Stand on the New Deal for CUNY?
- 2/07/22: Fund CUNY and SUNY: NY Higher Ed Unions Call on State Leaders to Increase Investment in Public Colleges, Universities
- 1/24/22: PSC Ad Urges New Yorkers To Tell Their Electeds: Support The New Deal for CUNY
- 1/18/22: PSC Statement on the NYS Executive Budget
- 1/18/22: Labor Leaders Urge Governor Hochul to Fund a New Deal for CUNY
- 1/05/22: PSC Statement on Governor Hochul's State of the State Address
- 12/11/21: Elected Officials, Students, Unions, Groups March in Queens For A New Deal for CUNY
- 10/25/21:Faculty, Staff & Students Rally in Support of Increased CUNY Funding
- 10/18/21: PSC Members Testify Before the Board of Trustees
- 10/13/21: CUNY's University Budget Request
- 10/05/21:Lawmakers, CUNY Rising Alliance Call On CUNY To Address Staffing & COVID Safety With Stimulus Funds; Urge Albany and City Hall to Fund the New Deal for CUNY