Professional Staff Congress | 61 Broadway, 15th Floor, NYC 10006 | 212-354-1252 |212-PSC-CUNY | firstname.lastname@example.org | AFT Local #2334
Thinking About Retirement
A Check List
1. Well prior to your imagined retirement date, begin meeting with a counselor for your retirement system (contact the PSC office) and the Human Resources/Benefits Coordinator at your college.
2. A year before your planned retirement, request a Travia Leave form from Personnel. If your intention is to take a spring Travia, go to personnel during Thanksgiving week. If your intention is to take a fall Travia, go to personnel during spring break.
3. Speak to personnel about the various forms i.e. health, pension, Medicare reimbursement, that have to be filed.
4. Personnel usually has some form of “employee clearance check-list” which require signatures from the library and buildings and grounds that all books and keys have been returned.
5. If you are 65 or older you must apply for Medicare Part B. If you are over 62 you may apply for social security while on Travia. Travia is not considered income for social security purposes.
6. Contact your retirement plan several months prior to being off the payroll in order to fill out all the necessary forms. Keep a copy of all documents given to both personnel and the retirement system and get signed receipts.
7. Arrange for automatic withholding from your pension check for NYSUT benefits
8. Obtain a college retiree I.D. card to use in the library and other university facilities
9. Enjoy your retirement
--Prepared by Clarissa Gilbert Weiss