Professional Staff Congress | 61 Broadway, 15th Floor, NYC 10006 | 212-354-1252 |212-PSC-CUNY | email@example.com | AFT Local #2334
HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund
NOTICE: June 1 is the next due date for HEO-CLT PDF applications proposing activities that start in July, August or September (the Committee does not meet over the summer). Printed and complete applications must be received at the PSC office by Monday, June 1, 2015, 5pm to be considered at the June meeting. Notices will be sent by June 15 via USPS.
Applications are not considered officially received if sent by email or fax. Consult the Due Dates Schedule and the Guidelines below for details. The Committee encourages you to send your application in early, even several months in advance.
The City University of New York/Professional Staff Congress
Professional Development Fund for the Higher Education Officer and
College Laboratory Technician Series
HEO-CLT PDF Committee Liaison: Patricia Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
Revised September 2013
A. Professional Development Fund Summary
In accordance with the PSC/CUNY collective bargaining agreement, approximately $500,000 per annum is available University-wide to support professional development activities for eligible employees in titles in the Higher Education Officer series and the College Laboratory Technician series. Won by the union in the 2000-2002 contract, the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund is the first time CUNY HEOs and CLTs have been granted support for academic and professional pursuits. The PDF grant schedule follows the academic calendar (September 1st through August 31st), and each year, approximately 400 grants are approved.
B. Eligible Applicants
- Employees in HEO or CLT titles at all CUNY campuses including EOCs (except excluded positions) who are employed full-time for at least six (6) months prior to application
- Adjunct CLTs who work at least ten (10) hours per week during the semester in which the application is made and have worked (10) or more hours per week for four (4) consecutive semesters (not including summer session) immediately preceding the semester in which the application is made
- Employees who are not on Travia Leave when the application is submitted or when the proposed professional development activity will take place
C. Acceptable Professional Development Activities and Requests
All activities should be directly related to development of skills and resources necessary to complete the professional duties of an applicant’s position at CUNY. Such activities include:
- Conferences, conventions, seminars, trainings or workshops
- Course fees
- Tuition for classes at an accredited non-CUNY university taken for credit or non-credit (proof of accreditation is required)
- Tuition for CUNY classes beyond coverage of the CUNY Tuition Waiver (waiver must be included in application) for classes taken for credit or non-credit
- Research projects and field studies
- Books required for related professional development activities
- Professional organization dues
D. Application Process and Guidelines
- Download the application from the PSC/CUNY website.
- Thoroughly read these guidelines and the application before completing and submitting the application. Feel free to address questions to HEO-CLT PDF Committee Liaison Patricia Young at email@example.com or (212) 354-1252. Email correspondence preferred.
- Submit your completed application to your supervisor who must return it within ten (10) days. Your supervisor will make and keep a copy of the application for his/her records and send a copy to your college’s labor designee. Note: The supervisor’s signature indicates approval of the activity and the time needed to participate in the activity, should it occur during regular work hours. Awardees are not required to charge the time spent at a professional development activity to their annual leave. Awardees may choose, however, to conduct the funded activity on their own time for which they will not receive remuneration.
- After your supervisor has signed your application, make copies for your own records. You must mail or drop-off a printed application (including all supporting documentation and original signatures) to the PSC/CUNY office, Attn: HEO-CLT PDF, 61 Broadway, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10006.
- Printed applications are due at the PSC by the first of the month at least one month prior to the proposed activity (example: an application for an activity in May needs to be considered at the April meeting and must be received at the PSC by April 1st). If the first day of the month falls on a weekend or holiday, the due date will be the nearest business day to the first. Note: The Committee does not meet during July or August, so applications for activities during July, August and September should be submitted in time for the June Committee meeting, according to the Due Dates Schedule. Late applications will not be considered.
- Applications will not be considered for activities that have occurred or started before the application is considered by the Committee.
- Applications will not be considered if they are illegible or incomplete.
- Multiple applications can be submitted at one time, but each professional development activity must be proposed in a separate application.
- The PSC/CUNY HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund will consider and possibly award grants for activities that are receiving additional funding from other sources.
E. The Grant Approval Process
The HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund is administered by the HEO-CLT Professional Development Committee established by PSC/CUNY. The Committee meets once a month to consider applications. Determination letters will be sent by the end of the month during which the application was considered. The Committee does not meet during July or August. The Committee includes both HEOs and CLTs. Each application is read by two committee members. If there is a dispute in the decision between the first two readers, a third will consider the application for the final decision. No committee member will read an application submitted by a colleague from their own campus. Decisions of the committee are final.
F. Limitations on Grants
- Any year (September 1st through August 31st) during which an applicant has been awarded one or more grants is considered an award year. Eligible applicants may receive multiple grants in one year but an award year total may not exceed $3,000 for any one applicant.
- Applications requesting funds for activities costing more than $3,000 are eligible for consideration, but an applicant’s award-year total funding will not exceed $3,000.
- To ensure broad access to grants, applicants who receive four (4) grants from the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund must wait three (3) years after the year for which the fourth grant was paid before being eligible to receive another grant from the Fund.
- Preference is given to applicants who have not yet received grants from the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund.
- The amount of money available from the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund to employees at any CUNY campus will be proportionate to the number of eligible employees at each campus.
- The Committee may limit the number of grants awarded to employees from the same campus requesting to attend the same conference or professional development activity.
- Applications requesting awards for less than $250 will not be considered.
G. After Awards Have Been Decided
- Grantees will be notified of their award via USPS. The envelope will contain an award letter, Reimbursement Policy sheet, and Reimbursement Expense Report form. Grantees should read all materials thoroughly before participating in the professional development activity and incurring related expenses.
- Any changes to the proposal—including non-attendance of the proposed activity—must be reported to the grantee’s supervisor and to the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund Committee.
- Grantees should keep track of all original receipts, credit card statements, conference materials and other documents that will support his/her reimbursement request.
- Within thirty (30) days after the conclusion of the approved professional development activity, the grantee should submit to their supervisor and to the HEO-CLT Professional Development Committee a report (at least one page long) describing the grantee’s experience at the approved activity and how it benefited the grantee’s professional development; a completed Reimbursement Expense Report form; and acceptable documentation for proof of payment.
H. Reimbursement Guidelines
- Reimbursements are made only for activities that have been approved in advance of the activity.
- The approved professional development activity must be concluded before requesting reimbursement.
- Grantees should carefully read and follow the Reimbursement Policy. Requests that do not meet the policy guidelines will be returned.
- Reimbursement requests must include a report (at least one page long) describing the grantee’s experience at the approved activity and how it benefited the grantee’s professional development, a completed Reimbursement Expense Report form, and acceptable documentation for proof of payment. All reimbursement materials must be submitted in the same package for a request to be considered complete and ready for review.
- Reimbursement requests are reviewed monthly, during the second-half of the month. Checks are mailed near the end of each month. To better enable the Committee to issue your reimbursement in the coming month, make sure your reimbursement request is received at the PSC before the 15th of the current month. If it is received after the 15th of the current month, be aware that your reimbursement request may not be processed until the month after next.