Much of our power comes from a mobilized membership and close alliances with our affiliates, students and their communities. Through the agency of an organized membership, the PSC has in the past won key contract provisions (e.g. winning the first paid parental leave benefit for public employees in NY state). Similar -- and sometimes even bigger membership mobilizations and key alliances -- have secured victories beyond the contract. Over the past year the PSC has:
- 2010-2017 Contract Campaign
- Secured full and ongoing funding for Adjunct Health Insurance
- Won and ratified first contract ever for Research Foundation Field Units
- Expanded PSC-CUNY grants under faculty control.
- Enhanced enforcement of the HEO workweek against the abuse of arbitrary overtime.
- Ended abuse of the substitute title by CUNY.
- Implemented a dedicated sick leave agreement.
- Made a difference in key 2012 elections.
- Won and renewed paid parental leave.
- Helped to secure $4 Million restoration of funds CUNY community colleges in 2010,
- Stopped furloughs ordered by Governor David Paterson in 2010.
- Played a key role in getting CUNY Trustees to reverse their decision and grant Tony Kushner an honorary degree
- Played a key role in getting Kristofer Petersen-Overton's job back
Over the years, the PSC has activated thousands of members in campaigns ranging in focus from contract to budget to workload to equity for adjuncts to parental leave – and more. Below is a gallery of photos and videos showcasing the breadth of PSC's work and the level of participation in our campaigns.
RF WORKERS SAY "FIGHT BACK!" Joined by the Grinch, Research Foundation field workers took their fight for a first contract to the RF headquarters at a pre-holiday rally on 12/22/10. The RF didn't express it's holiday spirit that day, but the workers succeeded in winning a first contract in the following semester. It went into effect on 6/1/11. Click the image to the left to see a video of the Grinch and the 12/22/10 rally.