CUNY’s Low-Wage Workers to Lawmakers:
A Fair Adjunct Wage of $7K per Course is Essential for Student Success
Almost a hundred CUNY adjunct faculty and their colleagues rallied at the State Capitol on April 24 to demand a salary of $7,000 per course for CUNY’s adjunct faculty and increased investment in the City University of New York. Assembly Higher Education Chair Deborah Glick and Assemblymember Jo Anne Simon spoke at the event, along with a representative of Assemblymember Marcos Crespo. Senator Toby Ann Stavisky, ranking member of the Senate Higher Education Committee and Senator Marisol Alcantara spoke as well.
The rally on the Capitol’s Million Dollar Staircase was part of a $7K Advocacy Day during which adjuncts met with dozens of legislators to explain why fair pay for CUNY adjunct faculty is essential for student success. CUNY salaries are bargained with the university’s central administration, but inadequate funding from Albany is at the root of the problem.Here's a video of the rally with statements from the lawmakers and from PSC leaders and activists.
Increasing CUNY adjunct pay to $7,000 minimum per course is essential to student success and the right thing to do. CUNY sends the wrong message about the value of college education when it relies on adjunct faculty paid a shamefully low wage to do the majority of its teaching.
$7K Advocacy Materials
- CUNY Changes Lives, a booklet on why New York must invest in full-time faculty, adjuncts and advisors to fulfill the promise of CUNY
- The Facts about CUNY Adjuncts, a fact sheet on why an increase in adjunct pay to $7,000 per course is essential to student success
Join the Committee of Adjuncts and Part-timers Facebook group or attend their Friday, 3-5 PM meetings on March 16, April 13, or May 11.
Ask your chapter chair for a $7K Campaign Membership Poster
$7K in Clarion
- Why we stay, what we need: low pay hurts all of CUNY, Dec 17
- Union tells CUNY board: it’s contract time, Dec 17
- Bargaining team reflects, looks forward, Nov 17
- CUNY faculty and staff will not accept scarcity, Nov 17
- Adjuncts to CUNY board: we deserve fair pay for our work, May 17
- Adjunct pay: an issue for all of us
- Brooklyn College adjuncts rally for ‘pay parity’, Jan/Feb 17