The Professional Staff Congress, AFT Local 2334, is a progressive, activist union representing 30,000 faculty and staff at The City University of New York. The PSC is seeking to hire an experienced individual who will increase the union's effectiveness in enforcing contracts and expanding the reach of academic labor unionism through directing union staff and activists in enforcing the PSC contracts on behalf of the diverse instructional staff PSC represents. This is a professional, unionized position.
Responsibilities: With latitude for independent decision-making and in consultation with the PSC Legal Director and Executive Director, administers the collective bargaining agreements for the CUNY instructional staff and the CUNY Research Foundation staff represented by PSC and is responsible for implementation of the policies and procedures of the established grievance process.
- Oversees the investigation, preparation and presentation of grievances at step one and step two; negotiates and approves settlement agreements with CUNY management;
- Directs union staff and activists in the enforcement of contract provisions and grievance process and using electronic databases;
- Works with chapter leadership on contract enforcement and labor-management issues;
- Maintains an effective system of follow up on member inquiries, workplace issues and grievances with staff and member grievance counselors, including the use of digital reporting;
- Oversees rank and file grievance representatives in building local strength, and works with the Director of Organizing to organize around contractual rights;
- Conduct on-campus educating and organizing sessions around contractual rights and grievances, including sessions for Department Chairs;
- Develops and implements contract enforcement strategies for complex issues in consultation with elected leaders and member representatives;
- Serves as a resource to the union bargaining team on contract issues;
- Designs and implements grievance counselor training;
- Evaluates CUNY policies for adherence to the collective bargaining agreement,
- Oversees research, analysis and preparation of reports on contract enforcement issues;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive trade unionism;
- 10 years’ experience or more as a union grievance representative or union-side labor lawyer and demonstrated ability to interpret and administer collective bargaining agreements and to negotiate grievance settlement agreements; experience in higher education is a plus;
- Demonstrated experience supervising union staff and activists;
- Demonstrated organizing orientation and ability to work in a team environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience working with databases;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to pay attention to details;
- Experience communicating and working with a diverse constituency.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Baccalaureate; more advanced degree in labor and industrial relations or law is a plus;
- At least 7 years’ experience in higher education and/or public sector labor relations,
- Knowledge of standard office computer software;
- 3 full-time employment references.
Compensation: Salary: $115,000+, depending on experience
Comprehensive benefit package
The Professional Staff Congress is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: October 30, 2021 or until position is filled
Email cover letter and resume to:
Professional Staff Congress
61 Broadway, 15th floor
NY, NY 10006