PSC/CUNY – MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE CHAPTER
MEETING HELD WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2016, 11.30AM IN ROOM AB1-312
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Clinton Crawford, Chair, PSC/ MEC who welcomed all in attendance with special mention of new member, Dr. H. Sanderson, Chair, Nursing Department. Dr. Crawford also expressed appreciation for all who supported the contract rallies.
The minutes of March 30, 2016 were approved as read. Debbie Bell, Treasurer, PSC/CUNY was introduced whose purpose it was to give some clarity to the new contract. Some high points of her presentation included:
• October 21, 2016 payment of $1000.00 for work performed last year.
• PSC is upset with CUNY for not taking steps to have back-pay made sooner than January 2017.
• Pay-stubs will explain difference between regular and back pay.
• Check PSC website for explanations.
• PSC will be back in Albany pressing the legislature to put more money in CUNY in order to take care of maintenance.
• Contract negotiations will be starting soon in spring 2017. We should all inform Dr. Crawford of issues about which we are concerned.
• The Labor-Management Committee/CUNY is seeking workload reduction which may result in a demand for increased fulltime faculty.
• Provisions that are now in the agreement take effect at the beginning of fall semester, 2016.
• HEOs can nominate themselves for higher-level classification. PSC will work with HEOs to strategize in this area, and will also seek solutions for CLT promotions.
• Adjuncts who teach 6 credits for 10 straight semesters must be considered for 3-year appointment; 2-year appointments for adjuncts teaching 6 credits in last 4 semesters; adjuncts not offered the long-term appointment letter and those who refuse it, will have to be dismissed.
• Application date for early retirement will be November 15, 2016 for retirement to start next September. Check PSC website re CUNY retirement.
• Bedford parking lot now has modern security cameras and improved lighting.
• Question for MEC’s Labor Management agenda is: “Who is monitoring the data from the cameras?”
• Pinnacle Awards: PSC is being asked to purchase a table of 10 or 7. Drs. Wallace Ford and Clinton Crawford will contact and collect from PSC members.