PSC/CUNY – MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE CHAPTER
MEETING HELD WEDNESDAY, MAY 10, 2017, 11.30AM IN ROOM AB1-312
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Clinton Crawford, Chair, PSC/ MEC who welcomed all in attendance including Deidre Brill, Director of Organizing, PSC/CUNY.
The minutes of March 29, 2017 were approved as read. The agenda as follows:
Salary Increase was noted and the membership was urged to recommit to supporting the union as it seeks to bolster its representative power.
- Deidre Brill, the PSC’s Director of Organizing, invited individuals to sign up for training to educate others regarding the need to pay union dues for continued union representation. She pointed out that 80-85% of fulltime employees are members of the union but 50% of adjuncts are not members.
Eligibility for 3-year Contract: Adjuncts are now eligible for 3-year contracts after 6 semesters of consecutive employment.
Union Membership: The office of Human Resources (HR) will be asked to distribute union membership cards to new employees.
Labor Management (LM) Meeting Agenda: The Chair, Dr. Crawford, solicited from the membership items for the next LM meeting agenda with the following result:
- Campus bathrooms and student labs need cleaning and improvement
- Security cameras
- Entering faculty need to be paid as well as entering Higher Education Officers (HEOs)
- Increase in re-assigned time for Chairs
- Release time needed for Deputy Chairs
New Contract, What do We Want to See?
- $7000.00 per course preparation for adjuncts
- Maintenance of health benefits at beginning and ending of service
- Improvement in dental health
- Provision for annual eyeglass renewal
- Re-visitation of adjunct workload
- Reduction of teaching hours across the board
- Egalitarian classification of jobs across CUNY
CLT (College Lab Technician) Classification: Medgar Evers College is out of compliance.
HEO RE-Classification and Morale: In this present contract, HEOs can nominate themselves for title re-classification. To begin the conversation regarding HEO morale, Dr. Crawford pointed out that the strategy going forward will be to obtain, from Medgar Evers College, a status report on HEOs campus-wide.
Library: Library staff complained of the changing color of water from the faucets in the Library and were directed to contact and follow-up with Mohamed Bangura, Environmental Health & Safety Officer / Environmental Health and Safety, AB1 email@example.com
End-of-Semester Fete was scheduled for Wednesday, May 24, 2017 in AB1, Room 312, 11.30AM.
Submitted by: Verna Green, Secretary