PSC/CUNY – MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE CHAPTER
MEETING HELD WEDNESDAY, MARCH 30, 2016, 11.30AM IN ROOM AB1-312
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Clinton Crawford, Chair, PSC/ MEC who welcomed all in attendance, and the minutes of February 10, 2016 were approved as read. The discussion focused on the following agenda:
NYC Contract Rallies: Dr. Crawford informed the meeting that many students have supported the PSC in its contract struggle, and Medgar Evers College has been represented at all demonstrations relating to the struggle.
Signing of Letters to Albany Officials: PSC members were exhorted to sign letters from the PSC/CUNY seeking support for contract struggle from Albany officials;
Members were also encouraged to call the Governor and legislative officials.
Conversation around Contract:
• NYS Assembly and Senate support retroactive pay for faculty;
• Contract ought to be resolved immediately;
• Governor Cuomo will not be allowed to place CUNY’s burden on the City of New York;
• The vote for the contract was scheduled for April 1, 2016;
• Faculty and staff, unable to afford complacency, have been asked to have conversations with students re contract problem;
• The Governor’s signature would leave CUNY with no reason to obstruct negotiation;
• Projection: The Contract ratified by the end of this semester.
Suggestion by Jeffrey Sigler: In support of conversations with students, Mr. Sigler suggested that the PSC conduct regular workshops to teach activism/civic engagement, and to institutionalize the activity, he posited that MEC needs to take that responsibility with the assistance of its faculty.
The Chair informed the meeting of NYPRG’s interest in establishing a presence at MEC and felt that its presence could assist in involving students in activism.
Labor-Management Meeting Agenda for April 12, 2016:
• Electronic Keys: Although reactivation of electronic keys has been extended from 15 days to one month, the topic is back on the agenda because: a) some keys do not work and b) a semester, rather than a month is needed before reactivation.
Answer needed for: “How is the data being used?”
• Camera Security: Cameras are needed front to back of the Bedford Building and some towards the Ebbets Field buildings. There is also need for upgraded security management.
• Unhealthy atmosphere in the physical plant at MEC.
• All in attendance were encouraged to sign up as members of the PSC, and participate in the PSC elections.
• MEC radio station -wmec.com – seeking producers
Submitted by: Verna Green, Secretary