PSC/CUNY – MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE CHAPTER
MEETING HELD WEDNESDAY, MARCH 29, 2017, 11.30AM IN ROOM AB1-312
The meeting was called to order by Dr. Clinton Crawford, Chair, PSC/ MEC who welcomed all in attendance including Barbara Bowen, Sharon Persinger, Patrick Smith, Deidre Brill, President and officers of PSC/CUNY respectively.
The minutes of November 2016 and February 2017 were approved as read. The agenda was as follows:
- Barbara Bowen, President, PSC/CUNY, informed the membership of one more salary increase to complete the 10.4% increase won by the union. This increase would be received in our April 20, 2017 check. She pointed out that the union also won improvement in benefits for dental, vision and hearing.
- Sharon Persinger, Treasurer, PSC/CUNY, pointed out that the Welfare Fund increased benefits included funding for Adjunct Health Insurance.
- Patrick Smith, Communications Director, Welfare Fund, made a presentation showing the Welfare Funds provision of high-quality benefits at affordable cost:
- Single vision provider: Davis Visionworks
- Contact: www.visionworks.com; 1-800-999-5431
- Hearing aid benefit increased to $750.00 annually within network. No change with out-of-network plan. Hearing aid provider: HearUSA
- Contact: 1-800-442-8231
- Dental benefits have improved: (a) No change with the Delta Dental Program, (b) Guardian has agreed to charge less:
- Contact: www.guardiananytime.com
- Members were encouraged to recommend dentists to the Welfare Fund:
- Contact: www.psccunywelfarefund.org
- Deidre Brill, Director of Organizing, made a presentation regarding the political plan afoot to prevent unions from collecting fees. She had us sign commitment cards towards continuing to pay union dues. She will train us to reach out to our colleagues re continuing to pay dues. The Union is our voice for obtaining better benefits.
Out-of-network funds have also been increased
In response to a question, Barbara Bowen informed us that negotiations are in progress to have fulltime teaching load reduced by 3 hours.
Submitted by: Verna Green, Secretary