You can now APPLY ONLINE for the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund! Please thoroughly read the updated guidelines below before proceeding to the online application.
The City University of New York/Professional Staff Congress
Professional Development Fund for the Higher Education Officer and
College Laboratory Technician Series
HEO-CLT PDF Committee Liaison: Patricia Young, email@example.com
The HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund was won as part of the 2000-02 PSC/CUNY collective bargaining agreement and was the first time CUNY HEOs and CLTS were granted support for academic and professional pursuits. In each academic year since 2003-04, approximately $500,000 total is distributed via small grants to approximately 450 awardees from campuses University-wide in the Higher Education Officer and College Laboratory Technician series, as well as CLIP and CUNY Start instructors, and EOC Lecturers.
In order to be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be in one of these series titles: Higher Education Officer, College Laboratory Technician, CLIP Instructor, CUNY Start Instructor, EOC Lecturer.
- Be in your full-time title for more than six months by the start date of the proposed activity. (For Adjunct CLTs you must work at least 10 hours per week during the semester in which you apply, and you must have worked 10 hours per week for four consecutive, non-Summer semesters, immediately preceding the semester in which you apply.)
- NOT be in an excluded title (if you are in an excluded title your paystub will show that you don't pay dues or fees to the union).
- NOT be on Travia Leave when the application is submitted or when the proposed professional development activity will take place.
C. Use of Funds
YES - Acceptable uses to propose to the Fund:
- Conferences, workshops and trainings that require travel outside of the NY metro area
- Local or online conferences, workshops, trainings, and certificate programs
- A semester of schooling at an accredited college or university (CUNY or non-CUNY), which could include tuition, fees, and books listed on the relevant syllabi
- Research projects and field studies
- Membership dues for professional organizations
NO - The Fund cannot be used for:
- Personal vacation or travel not related to a documented event
- Salary, wages, or stipends for employees, research assistants, research participants, etc.
- Computers, tablets, cameras, or other technology or equipment
- Certain travel expenses including taxis, shuttles, trams, buses, commuter rail or gas to/from airport, tolls, parking fees, entertainment tours
- Activities that the Committee deems not relevant to the development of skills, resources, or credentials necessary to complete the professional duties or career advancement of a person in their eligible CUNY title.
D. Limitations on Awards
- To ensure broad access to grants, applicants who receive four grants over any length of time from the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund, must wait a three-year break period after the year for which the fourth grant was paid before being eligible to receive another grant from the Fund. If you are unsure about your award history, please contact the Committee Liaison before submitting an application. After the three-year break period is completed, an eligible applicant can apply for four more grants before triggering the next three-year break period.
- An eligible applicant may apply for and be given multiple awards in one grant-year (which runs September 1 and August 31) but the total of those awards cannot not exceed $3,000.
- An eligible applicant can propose an activity that costs more than $3,000, but the maximum possible award will not exceed $3,000.
- Preference is given to applicants who have not yet received awards from the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund.
- The amount of money available from the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund to employees at any CUNY campus will be proportionate to the number of eligible employees at each campus.
- The Committee may limit the number of grants awarded to employees from the same campus requesting to attend the same conference or professional development activity.
- The PSC/CUNY HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund will consider and possibly award grants for activities that are receiving additional funding from other sources, but if specific expenses are waived or paid for by the college or another party, the Fund cannot reimburse for those specific expenses.
- Multiple applications can be submitted at one time, but each professional development activity must be proposed in a separate application. For requests related to a semester of schooling, each semester must be applied for in a separate application.
- Applications requesting awards for less than $250 will not be considered.
E. Application and Award Process
- If you are not sure, verify with the PSC membership department that you are in an eligible title.
- If you are not sure, verify with the Committee Liaison that you have not exceeded your award limits.
- Check the Due Dates Schedule below. Due dates are determined by the documentable start date of a proposed event. For example, if your proposed event is advertised to start any time in May, you must have your application submitted by the first day of the month in the month prior to the event, which would be April 1. The Committee does not meet in July or August so applications for events in July, August, or September must be submitted by June 1. You can apply several months early, but late applications will not be accepted--no exceptions.
- Read the entire Guidelines for the fund.
- Use the online application system to register for an account, then begin drafting your application.
- The last step of the application is uploading your supervisor’s signature of approval. Download the Supervisor Approval Form here. Once you have fully drafted your application in the online system, print a copy to share with your supervisor and include a printed copy of the Supervisor Approval Form. Your supervisor must return the signed form to you within ten days and may keep a copy of your application for their records and send a copy to your college’s labor designee. Your supervisor’s signature indicates review of your application and approval of the activity and the time needed to participate in the activity, should it occur during regular work hours. Awardees are not required to charge the time spent at a professional development activity to their annual leave. Awardees may choose, however, to conduct the funded activity on their own time for which they will not receive remuneration.
- After your supervisor has returned the signed form, scan a copy and upload it to the Final Page of the online application.
- Once you’ve completed the full online application, click Submit in time to meet the deadline. You will receive an auto confirmation email.
- If there are any issues with your application, the Committee Liaison will be in touch within a week or so, to recommend changes or to request additional materials.
- Shortly after the monthly deadline, the HEO-CLT PDF Committee will begin reviewing applications. The Committee includes HEOs and CLTs from various CUNY campuses and departments. Each application is read by two committee members (who do not read applications submitted by colleagues from their own campus). If there is a disagreement in the decision between the first two readers, a third reader will determine the outcome. Decisions from the Committee are final.
- Approximately three weeks after the deadline, applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision via email.
F. Reimbursement Process
- If awarded, all details regarding the reimbursement process and policy will be made available with the award notification.
- Any changes to the proposal—including non-attendance of the proposed activity—must be reported to the awardee’s supervisor and to the HEO-CLT Professional Development Fund Committee Liaison.
- While preparing to participate in the approved activity, awardees should keep track of all original receipts, credit card statements, conference materials and other documents that will support their reimbursement request.
- The approved professional development activity must be concluded before requesting reimbursement.
- Awardees will be given access to a link leading to the online Reimbursement Request Form which will notify the Committee Liaison that reimbursement materials are going to be mailed. In the online Reimbursement Request Form, awardees will write their report (approximately 300-500) words about the awarded activity, and list their requested expenses. Awardees must then print a copy of their completed Reimbursement Request Form from the online system and attach all printed itemized receipts and credit/bank statements for each requested expense. The printed request and supporting materials must then be mailed to the HEO-CLT PDF at 61 Broadway, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10006.
- Reimbursement requests that are received at the PSC office by the 15th of a given month will be reviewed that same month and a check will be mailed by the end of that month. Reimbursement requests received at the PSC office after the 15th of a given month will be processed by the end of the following month.
G. Due Dates Schedule and Application Links
For Events Starting in July or Aug 2018 (NOT including Fall 2018 Semester Tuition) DEADLINE JUNE 1, 2018.
For Events Starting in Sep 2018 (INCLUDING Fall 2018 Semester Tuition) DEADLINE JUNE 1, 2018.
- The Committee does not review applications in July and August.
- If your travel, local, or research activity begins on any date in July or August 2018, the final due date is June 1, 2018 .
- If your activity begins on any date in September 2018 -OR- if you are applying for Fall 2018 Semester Tuition the final due date is June 1, 2018.
The application links above will expire at midnight on the due date, June 1, 2018 so you will be unable to submit late applications. Incomplete applications will not be read or approved. Make sure to use the correct link or you will be asked to redo your application. Decision announcements for applications submitted by June 1 will be made via email by June 22, 2018.