- Hundreds Protest SCOTUS Labor Decision in NYC, NY1 (video and text).
- "We Can Do What Unions Have always Done -- and That's Organize!," WPIX (video and text).
- Eyewitness News Coverage of Foley Square Rally, WABC (video and text).
UNION STRONG: SEND A LETTER TO THE B.O.T. & CUNY MANAGEMENT!
Let’s make this a day about union strength. Send CUNY management the
message that the attack on our union has only energized our fight for
a good contract without further delay. Make sure the Board of Trustees
gets thousands of messages; send yours right now.
PSC Statement on the U.S. Supreme Court’s Ruling in Janus v. AFSCME
"The Janus decision is not about the First Amendment. It is about consolidating wealth, power and even health in the hands of the few while imposing permanent economic austerity on everyone else. The majority decision helps to advance an agenda that has been planned and lavishly funded by billionaires and far-right organizations. Its goal is to undo every gain made by workers, people of color, immigrants, women, the middle class and the poor during the last half-century."
-President Barbara Bowen
Professional Staff Congress (PSC/CUNY) | AFT #2334
Janus v. AFSCME documents:
- Transcript of oral arguments
- Audio of oral arguments
Media Articles and Analysis of the 6/27/18 Janus Decision:
- Janus Decision Sparks Outrage from New York's Unions, Demonstrators Fill Foley Square to Protest Ruling, New York Daily News
- Supreme Court Delivers a Sharp Blow to Labor Unions, New York Times.
- Gorsuch Casts Decisive Vote, Slate.
- The Janus Decision Was Never About the First Amendment. It Was About Destroying Labor, by Bill Fletcher, In These Times.
- Is This Supreme Court Decision The End Of Teachers Unions?, NPR. [Our answer is "no!" -- but this analysis is out there in the main stream media.]
- News Analysis: Supreme Court Decision Makes Unions Smaller and Poorer, but Maybe Not Weaker, New York Times.
- 6 Excerpts that Explain the Supreme Court’s Big Anti-union Ruling, Vox. Janus v. AFSCME is a very, very big deal.
- Labor’s Choice After Janus, Jacobin. The Supreme Court Janus decision is a devastating defeat for labor. Public-sector unions now have two choices: continued decline, or a reversion to the kind of militant collective action of the movement’s early years.
- After Janus, We’re in It to Win It, American Federation of Teachers. The AFT is our national affiliate.
- ‘Janus’ Was Decided by Conservative Judicial Activists Who Are Legislating From the Bench. The Nation.
- What the Janus Decision Means for Teacher Unions. New York Times.
- Supreme Court Rules Against Public-Sector Unions, Inside Higher Ed.
- ‘It’s Really a Race’: Supreme Court Ruling Intensifies High-Stakes Battle for Public Workers, Gotham Gazette.
- “The Supreme Court case that could kneecap public sector unions, explained,” Vox. | A detailed explainer about the case, the issues involved and similar cases. (June 14, 2018).
- “The threat we face: How Janus could hurt labor,” Clarion | How a negative outcome to the case will affect the PSC and how the union is preparing to stay strong. (March 2018).
- “There’s a reason the right hates unions,” Clarion | A look at the right-wing’s efforts to erode union power and workers’ rights. (March 2018).